- By default, most battery powered devices are configured for smart movement-based tracking.
- The device will automatically detect when it is on the move, and increase the logging/update rate accordingly. (See Battery Powered Devices - Overview of Operations)
- For some applications, we may simply want 1-4 updates per day. So we can configure the device for Periodic Tracking (heartbeats only)
- On some devices the hearbeats can be scheduled to be at specific times of the day (Scheduled Uploads).
- If we set periodic tracking, we can still put the device into Recovery Mode (but it will only enter this mode on the next heartbeat)
Set Periodic Tracking - Devices other than Yabby
To set an Oyster, Remora, Falcon, or Eagle to Periodic tracking only, open the System Parameters and add the Advanced Tracking parameter, then set Periodic Tracking Only to Yes.
The default period is 12 hours, but to change this, also add the Basic Tracking parameter, and change Heartbeat Upload Period to the required period (in Minutes).
Set Periodic Tracking - Yabby
The Yabby parameters are a bit different. To switch a Yabby to Periodic Tracking only, you add in the System Parameter tab Basic Tracking and change the 'Periodic tracking only' field to Yes and set your heartbeat upload time frame above.
This table shows the battery life estimations from Lithium or LTC batteries (where applicable).
|Heartbeat interval||1hr||2hr||4hr (6 x Daily)||12hr (2 x Daily)||24hr (1 x Daily)|
|Avg. GPS fix time||10s||15s||30s||60s||60s|
|Oyster2 4G||1 Year||1.8 Years||2.8 years||6 Years||7 years|
|Remora2 4G||5 Years||8.5 Years||10 Years||10 Years||10 years|
|Yabby GPS 4G||17 Weeks||30 weeks||45 weeks||1.7 Years||3 Years|
|Yabby Wifi 4G||20 Weeks||40 weeks||1.4 years||3.8 years||6.5 Years|
|Yabby Edge 4G||2 years||3.5 years||6 years||10 years||10 years|
Battery Life & Battery Management
For more detail on estimating battery life, low battery alerts and battery management, see the article Battery Life, Battery Capacity Estimate & Low Battery Flag on our support portal
Periodic Mode in Telematics Guru
If you change a trip based asset to a periodic/ or point based asset in OEM Server, you'll also need to make adjustments in Telematics Guru. This ensures the street address will be updated on each heartbeat.
To change this, go to assets, Manage Assets and select either the cog menu(1) and edit(2) and click on the I/O Mappings tab(below), or select the Asset from the grid and click on I/O Mappings(3) quick link
Once you've navigated to the I/O Mappings tab, you can select or un-select the Trip Based checkbox.
The reference table below outlines the differences between Point and Trip based tracking
|Difference||Trip Based||Point Based|
|History Screen||Map History View||Point History View|
|Address lookup||On Trip start and Trip End||On Heartbeats only|